Halloween Toys vs. Candy
Which do children prefer? Children are just as likely to choose a toy as they are candy. In a study published in the Society for Nutrition Education Journal, children (ages 3-14) were offered one plate of Halloween toys and one plate of candy. The toys (which included stickers, rings, ghostly insects, and goblins) and candy had the same value. Nearly half the children chose the toys over the treats.
Choosing a Pumpkin
When selecting a pumpkin, choose one that is completely orange — a partially green pumpkin might not ripen any further.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Olive oil
- Seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash or natural herbs)
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and rinse.
- Allow to dry, or dry with a hair dryer.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Mix the seeds, olive oil, and seasoning.
- Spread the seeds on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Pumpkin Nutrient Information
Serving size: 1 cup (1″ cubes)
- Calories: 30
- Total Fat: 0.1g
- Sat. Fat: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1mg
- Total Carbs.: 7.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.6g
- Sugars: 1.6g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Calcium: 24.4mg
- Potassium: 394.4mg