A list of the top foods that cause car accidents and ultimately result in higher car insurance rates has been released by online auto insurance agency Insurance.com.
According to a study released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involve driver distraction, and eating while driving is one of the most distracting things that people do.
Here are the top 10 foods to avoid while driving:
- Coffee. Even with a travel lid, hot coffee can find its way out of the opening when you hit a bump.
- Hot soup. Many people drink it like coffee and run the same risks.
- Tacos. Any food that can disassemble itself will leave your car looking like a salad bar.
- Chili dogs. Huge potential for drips and slops down the front of clothing.
- Hamburgers. From the grease to the toppings, it could end up on your hands and the steering wheel.
- Ribs and wings. What’s more distracting than licking your fingers?
- Fried chicken. More greasy hands. You’ve got to wipe them off while you’re driving.
- Jelly donuts. It’s not possible to eat one without watching the center ooze out.
- Soda. Carbonation. Fizz in the nose. Lids that leak. Disaster.
- Chocolate. Try to clean melted chocolate off the steering wheel without swerving.